Attention Physicians, Practice Managers, and Medical Marketers…here is a physician practice marketing plan for you. If you are wanting to grow or increase the reputation of your medical practice below are 57 ways to market, grow, and increase the reputation of your medical practice. Also listed are tools, links, and resources for easy access.
Physician Practice Marketing Plan – Step 1 – Know your WHY?
The first step of your marketing plan is to know the answer to two ‘Why’s’. Why do i do what I do? AND why do I need a marketing plan?
Lets start with the first question: Why do I do what I do?. Knowing the answer to this question will allow you to communicate and connect with others in a way far better than if you just communicate to others just what you do.
See the Ted talk video – Start with Why
The second question Why do i need a marketing plan for my medical practice depends on the stage of your practice. A common thought by many is:
I don’t need a marketing plan…there are plenty of patients!
Yes…it’s true. There are more patients who need care than there are qualified Physicians. So does that mean you don’t need to worry about a marketing plan for your practice? Let’s find out.
New Physician Practices
Yes! New practices need a marketing plan. This is the easy one 🙂 . New Physician Practices will always do at least a basic marketing plan to launch the practice. The community needs to know that the new Physician is now providing services in the community and if a Specialty Care Physician the Primary Care Physicians need to know as well so they can send referrals.
Starting a practice can be difficult to gain traction. The typical practice launch will take 1.5 to 2 years to become viable for the physician. That’s why it’s critical to hit the ground running with your marketing plan for your practice as soon as possible. The more ways you communicate with your community, physician colleagues, and potential customers the higher the chance of not only growing faster, but growing in a healthy way (i.e. not just getting the difficult patients other practices don’t want to manage).
Growth Oriented Established Physician Practices
Physician groups or practices that are focusing on growth need to focus on both new patient acquisition and building a strong reputation in the community and online.
Their marketing plan should target:
- Potential New Patients (by demographic or service line)
- Physician colleagues (especially if the growth oriented practice is specialty care only)
- Current Patient Panel (this is where you will get the feedback needed for a strong online reputation)
Non-Growth Oriented Physician Practices
If you are an established practice with a panel of patients you are satisfied with, then your physician practice marketing plan will focus on communicating with your community to maintain or enhance your reputation and trust.
It is still important that you continually build a solid reputation in the community and online so that ‘if’ (more likely ‘when’) you get a patient that has personal issues and they decide to complain about you its not the only feedback visible online.
Physician Practice Marketing Plan – Step 2 – Find Marketing Ideas that work for you
Every practice is different. Every community is different. There is no one size fits all. That’s why we have listed lots of different practice marketing ideas below. Review them and pick a few that will work for you and your community.
Physician Practice Marketing Plan & Reputation Enhancement Ideas
- Create a Physician or Medical Group Website
- Website Tutorial
- Contact Us – we will help you setup your website (FOR FREE).
- A good website is core to your physician practice marketing plan, new patient acquisition, and your on-going reputation enhancement goals. While you don’t need to spend a fortune on a website it is important that your medical practice website is high quality, mobile friendly, content rich (lots of written information), and quick load time. Many practices can find a good domain name, purchase hosting, and use wordpress to manage their website. Let us know if you need help with this.
- Design a nice logo
Designing a nice medical practice logo doesn’t have to be difficult. If you spend a little time brainstorming what message/image you want your practice to communicate then get feedback from local designers or online design competitions you can develop a strong logo that will help your reputation for years to come.
- Create a professional video
- Find a local designer through google
- Have professional Studio Photos taken (Doctors, staff, team)
- Print Newsletters
- Email Newsletters
- Birthday Cards or eCards
- Start a Facebook Page
- Start a Youtube Channel (account)
- Engage on other Social Media
- Engage on Social Networks with Other Physicians
- Join a Community Service Organization
- Join the Chamber of Commerce
- advertise using whatever means they offer
- Go to Local Events / Causes
- Chamber of Commerce socials, lunches, new businesses’ open houses and mixers
- Local Parades /Festivals
- Local Runs / Walk-athons
- Charity Fundraisers
- Try a reputation management / feedback / Reviews application
- Create a positive team culture that CARES about each patient
- Newspaper Ad
- Phonebook Ad
- Design nice Business Cards (appointment card on back)
- Create a practice Brochure
- Send out a Postcard / Mailer
- Provide Medicare Open Enrollment Informational Meetings
- Joint venture with a knowledgable Broker
- Hire a part-time content creator
- Hire an affordable SEO expert
- Create a Marketing Email Account– Use a generic email from your company email, or create a GMAIL ACCOUNT SETUP (YourPractice@gmail.com) – this will help you sign up for the following listings and other online marketing without bombarding your standard email account.
- Claim Physician Doctor Listings:
- Claim Local Generic Listings – have a staff member list / update your practice online at:
- Google – how to edit your business listing on google
- Yahoo – how to claim free business listing on yahoo
- Facebook – Facebook Page Set Up
- Better Business Bureau
- Angie’s List
- Merchant Circle
- Dex Media
- TeleAtlas – list business in GPS devices – GPS device listings
- Discover Our Town
- EZ Local
- Advice Local
- Get Fave
- My Huckleberry
- Magic Yellow
- Map Creator
- Judy’s Book – not free
- Announce new physicians or news with a PRESS RELEASE
- Association & Community Newsletter Ads (55+ communities and other associations)
- Local Mailer Ad
- Local Magazine Ad
- Write Professional Articles
- Medical Society Publications
- Healthcare Associations
- Healthcare Blogs
- Other online websites
- Your website
- Post articles on your local www.patch.com
- Join local facebook groups and share advice / your expertise
- Provide expertise to local Radio Stations
- Add evening or weekend hours for patient convenience
- Add a different service for patient convenience
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Medicine
- Urgent Care
- Massage Therapy
- Other Primary or Specialty Care Service
- Video Concierge or Telehealth Appointments
- Theatre or Cineplex Ad
- Sponsor a local team
- Join a Board (non-profit, school, or church)
- Door Hangars
- Flyers – local bulletin boards
- Provide a services at local health fairs
- glucose screening
- blood pressure checks
- cholesterol screening
- vision screening
- Offer public speaking seminars
- Speak at a local Senior Center
- Nursing home
- Do health screenings for employers, church, other organizations
- Host an Open House
- Create a New Patient Welcome Packet/Bag/Binder
- Bag vs Folder
- Custom Pen
- Welcome Letter
- Fridge magnet / other promo item
- Patient Appreciation Week
- 25th year in business Giveaway
- Christmas Cards to other Doctors Offices
- Connect with Medicare Advantage Plan Representatives
- Spread your news with Drug Reps (yes they talk don’t they 🙂
- Appointment Reminders
- Ask patients and colleagues for referrals
- Get feedback / patient surveys
- Ask for patient testimonials and reviews
- Create a culture focused on the Patient experience and quality of care
Physician Practice Marketing Plan – Step 3 – Implement Your Medical Practice Marketing Plan Ideas
After selecting ideas that you think will help your practice grow the next step is to determine how to implement your physician practice marketing plan ideas consistently.
The key to communicating well with your community and potential patients is to first pick a few ideas that you can sustain.
Consistent quality service and satisfied customer feedback over time is your foundation. Focus on quality care AND consistent systems that encourage positive feedback.
Usually a practice manager is the best option for implementation of a marketing plan for your practice. The practice manager can help develop the marketing plan for your practice from Physician Owner goals and can manage most of the implementation. This approach is usually better than relying on an outside vendor to manage your projects. Often vendors in the marketing space are focused on a large volume of clients and can’t give the customization or loyalty needed in communicating well. Be careful evaluating high priced marketing services that often have a ‘cookie-cutter’ approach that might temporarily boost your online presence etc…but after the initial improvement are difficult to change, update, and improve.
If you need support or feedback on marketing ideas for your practice our team at StaffApp MD is always open to support Medical Practices however we can!
Share with Us Your Physician Practice Marketing Plan Ideas
We would love to add to this resource with all your recommendations. If we have missed ideas or if you have other marketing ideas for physicians practices comment below or contact us.